In that incident, 21-year-old Christopher Ballew of Altadena suffered the broken leg as he was being forcefully restrained and handcuffed by the pair of as-yet-unnamed police officers.
Police allege that Ballew refused to comply with the orders of the officers, who reportedly pulled in behind him at the Mobile station located on the corner of Fair Oaks Avenue and Woodbury Road to execute a traffic stop for multiple traffic violations.
Last Friday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced it had declined to prosecute Ballew on any charges arising from the incident.
Public outcry, including a statement, read at last week’s City Council meeting by representatives of the NAACP Pasadena Branch which asked if the officers body-worn camera video could be released for public viewing, may have been factors in Mermell’s decision.
In his statement Monday night, Mermell said that “while the City is not obligated or required to release such the recordings, it is my intention to do so in coming days, as I believe doing so is in the best interest of the City and that of the public.”
Mermell said that the release of a “third-party video,” shot by a passerby, generated public interest in this incident. That video was published by Pasadena Now on December 4.
This would be the first time that police body-worn camera videos have been publicly released in response to a police use-of-force incident in Pasadena.
Mermell also said that “immediately following the incident, the Police Department initiated a use of force review, in accordance with departmental policy and procedure. That review is ongoing. The outcome of which will also be in accordance with department policy.”
Mermell noted that he and Chief of Police Phillip Sanchez ”hope to meet soon with the leadership of the NAACP to discuss the incident and the concerns and questions they raised last week.”
“I look forward to the dialogue,” Mermell said.