Connect with us

News

Boy, 14, home sick with the flu called 911 on himself before police came and shot him dead as he ‘wielded a knife’

Published

on

A Wisconsin sheriff’s deputy shot 14-year-old Jason Pero outside the boy’s home on Wednesday
Teen approached deputy with a large butcher knife and refused numerous commands to drop it, according to the Wisconsin Department of Justice
Pero called 911 to report a man with a knife, but then gave emergency dispatchers a description of himself, according to authorities
The shooting occurred on the Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa reservation, a sprawling wooded area about 300 miles north of Madison
Authorities said evidence shows the boy had been despondent in recent days – and that he had essentially committed ‘suicide by cop’
Pero’s relatives say the deputy, Brock Mrdjenovich, used excessive force and did not need to shoot him dead

An Ashland County sheriff’s deputy shot 14-year-old Jason Pero outside the boy’s home on Wednesday after the teenager approached the deputy with a large butcher knife and refused numerous commands to drop it, according to the Wisconsin Department of Justice.

The shooting occurred on the Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa reservation, a sprawling wooded area about 300 miles north of Madison.

Authorities said evidence shows the boy had been despondent in recent days – and that he had essentially committed ‘suicide by cop’.

Investigators said the boy twice lunged at Deputy Brock Mrdjenovich while the deputy was trying to retreat.

 

Mrdjenovich fired, hitting the boy twice, according to the Justice Department, which is investigating the incident.

Mrdjenovich, who has worked for the sheriff’s office for about a year, was interviewed by agency officials and is on paid administrative leave.

Investigators had previously released few details about what led up to the shooting, saying only that deputies were responding to a call about a male subject walking down the street with a knife around 11.40am.

Pero’s grandparents told The Associated Press on Friday that the boy, who lived with them, had come home from school with the flu Wednesday morning, but they didn’t know why he later left the home.

 

Authorities said a knife was found at the shooting scene.

The teen’s grandfather, Alan Pero, told the AP that he and his wife had raised the boy since he was a year old.

He said his grandson went to school Wednesday morning but came back to the house feeling nauseous.

The grandparents weren’t home, but Jason’s uncle was and said the boy was watching TV.

Pero, who was in the eighth grade, called 911 to report a man with a knife, but then gave emergency dispatchers a description of himself, investigators said Saturday

The uncle was downstairs doing laundry when the boy apparently left.

Pero said investigators searched the home, and the family discovered a dull butcher knife was missing.

The boy’s mother and other relatives have said they’re not convinced Jason had a knife.

His grandfather said that even if the boy did, ‘maybe he was carving, maybe he was doing something, but he’d never hurt a fly. Never in his life.’

Jason Pero’s cousin, Curtis Redbird, drove over 200 miles from his home in Black River Falls, Wisconsin to be with his grieving family after learning of the shooting.

 

‘Baby Jay he was a real sweet kid,’ he told KBJR-TV.

‘He always had a smile on his face it seemed like.

‘Nobody can believe that this happened to him because of the way that he is. The way that he was.’

Redbird said that the sheriff’s deputy involved in the shooting used excessive force.

‘He didn’t view him as a human, he viewed him as a hostile threat,’ Redbird said.

‘You know, honestly as an Indian.’

WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE ISSUES FINDINGS
The Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ) Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI), at the request of the Ashland County Sheriff’s Office, has been investigating an officer involved death (OID) that took place on November 8, 2017 in Odanah, Wisconsin, which is located on the Bad River Reservation.

The Ashland County Emergency Communications Center received a 911 call reporting a male subject walking on Maple Street carrying a knife.

Ashland County Sheriff’s Deputy Brock Mrdjenovich responded to the scene and encountered a 5’9”, 300 pound male subject who fit the description given by the 911 caller.

The subject was later identified as 14-year-old Jason Ike Pero.

Pero approached Deputy Mrdjenovich with a large butcher knife and he refused numerous commands to drop the weapon.

On two occasions, Pero lunged at the deputy while the deputy was attempting to retreat.

Deputy Mrdjenovich fired his service weapon at Pero, striking him twice.

Life-saving measures were initiated however, Pero was pronounced dead at Memorial Medical Center in Ashland.

DCI has determined Jason Pero was the same person that called 911 reporting a man with a knife, giving his own physical description.

Initial information indicates that Pero had been despondent over the few days leading up to the incident and evidence from a search warrant executed on Pero’s bedroom supports that information.

Deputy Mrdjenovich has been interviewed by DOJ and is on paid administrative leave in accordance with Ashland County Sheriff’s Office’s policy.

Deputy Mrdjenovich has worked for the Ashland County Sheriff’s Office for approximately one year.

The family members of Jason Pero have been offered victim witness services by the DOJ Office of Crime Victim Services.

The Ashland County District Attorney’s office will receive the written reports following the conclusion of the investigation.

DCI aims to turn over all OID investigative reports to the prosecutor within 30 days of the incident.

The Wisconsin DOJ-led investigation of this incident has been a collaborative effort between DCI, the Wisconsin State Patrol, and the Wisconsin State Crime Laboratory.

The Ashland County Sheriff’s Office has been fully cooperating with DCI during this investigation.


 

Continue Reading
Comments

News

WATCH: Copwatch | Gang Unit Vehicle Stop Foot Bail | Tossed Gun | Man Tasered

Published

on

San Diego Copwatch April 10, 2018

4000 Chamoune ave. City Heights, Mid-City San Diego

*Subscribe to My Backup Channel: IRATE Copwatch https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6JE…

Please consider donating to my Patreon Campaign to continue my efforts holding police accountable through Copwatching. https://www.patreon.com/IrateProductions

You can also donate to my Paypal at paypal.me/Uaptsd Copwatch Playlist: https://tinyurl.com/UAPTSDCOPWATCH Outro Music by *Gravy Beats* https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaaC…

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

©IRATE Productions https://www.facebook.com/irateprod/

United Against Police Terror – San Diego https://www.facebook.com/uaptsd/ https://twitter.com/UAPTSD https://uaptsd.org/

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

Image1.jpg

Continue Reading

News

POLICE claim Man said ‘shoot me’ twice before he was shot to death by police, Audio Experts Heard Different

Published

on

Las Vegas Metro police shot and killed a 22-year-old man early Friday morning after he reached for a weapon and defied commands repeatedly, police said.

 

Officers Francisco Rivera, 28, and Padilla Mills, 23, were involved in the shooting in the 200 block of Madge Lane, near Charleston Boulevard and Sloan Lane.

Assistant Sheriff Brett Zimmerman on Monday said officers were on their way to another call when they spotted Junior David Lopez driving recklessly with two women in a blue Chrysler 300.

“Hey, what are you doing? Stay in the car man,” one of the officers yelled. “Stay in the ****ing car! Don’t move! Do not ****ing move!”

When officers stopped the vehicle, Lopez got out of the vehicle with a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 firearm in his hand then tossed it on the ground, police said.

Zimmerman said Lopez defied officers’ commands to put his hands up and step away from the weapon. Instead Lopez grabbed the firearm and raised it, he said.

“Hey, get away from the gun!” officers yelled. “Do not move! Don’t reach for the gun, man. Do not reach the gun.”

Officers believe the body camera footage shows Lopez twice saying the words “shoot me.”

“I don’t know what was going through his head, but he was given ample opportunity to be taken into custody and he wasn’t,” Zimmerman said.

Officers Rivera and Mills both fired their weapons. Lopez fell to the ground and rolled over. Police say he reached for the guns once more. Officer Mills fired one more round, striking Lopez.

“We’re going to need medical for the subject,” one of the officers said, over his radio. “He’s reaching. Don’t reach for it! … His 4-13 is about one foot from his left hand. Don’t!”

Lopez was taken to Sunrise Hospital where he later died at 5:15 a.m.

The two women in the car were not injured. One was Lopez’ girlfriend and the owner of the vehicle. The other was a friend.

Both women on Monday night.

“I remember when we got pulled over they told us to get the **** out of the car, for him to get the **** out of the car. Why don’t I hear that in the video?” said Lopez’s girlfriend, Amber. “He was the best thing in my life… He said, ‘Don’t shoot me. Don’t shoot me. Don’t shoot me.’ You can’t hear the don’t, but you can hear him. ‘Don’t shoot me. Don’t shoot me.'”

Assistant Sheriff Brett Zimmerman said 22-year-old Junior Lopez told officers to shoot him, twice.

“I don’t know what was going through his head but he was given ample opportunity to be taken into custody and he wasn’t.”

Lopez’s girlfriend said he was yelling, “Don’t shoot me!”

Lopez’s girlfriend also says officers told him to get out of the car… before they yelled at him to get back in the car. She argues that the first portion was conveniently cut out of the video released today.

“Everything they said is not true,” said Jorge Luis Martinez, Lopez’s father. “The video is not complete. ”

Lopez had one prior charge for false statement to a police officer in North Las Vegas in 2016

Both officers have been employed with Metro since May 2016. They are both assigned to the Community Policing Division Northeast Area Command. They were both placed on routine paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Continue Reading

News

Freedom of Speech Everywhere except a Courthouse so Says the US Attorney General

Published

on

How an anti-illegal immigration YouTuber turned a $280 fine into a federal criminal trial

How an anti-illegal immigration YouTuber turned a $280 fine into a federal criminal trial

Gary Gileno

Gary Gileno is shown outside the federal courthouse on Friday before his trial. Gileno was fighting a $280 citation for failing to comply with orders while trying to bring a video camera into a L.A. County Sheriff oversight meeting in 2017. (Kent Nishimura / Los Angeles Times)

 

It began as a $280 citation for using a video camera in a courthouse.

But to Gary Gileno, at stake was much more than the couple hundred bucks he was told to pay.

An attorney for the anti-illegal immigration activist and prolific YouTuber told a judge Friday that the four-hour trial over the fine was really about preventing government abuse of power, protecting the rights of journalists and ensuring that citizens can hold public officials accountable.

“If he is convicted … it’ll chill speech, it’ll chill journalism, it’ll say the federal government has a superpower to do whatever it wants,” attorney William Becker said. “This is unprecedented. This is what we expect to see in a police state.”

A federal prosecutor dismissed the rhetoric, arguing the Class C misdemeanor charge was simply about Gileno’s refusal to follow a security officer’s orders.

The unusual legal battle came after Gileno, 32, tried to bring a video camera into a meeting of the Los Angeles County Sheriff Civilian Oversight Commission last year. California law specifically allows the public to use recording devices at such meetings, but the commission’s meeting in August was held at a federal appellate court building where filming is prohibited.

Someone just detained at federal courthouse, where public Sheriff Civilian Oversight Commission meeting takin place, 4 trying 2 take pic

The commission, a civilian panel set up to monitor the Sheriff’s Department and listen to public concerns about the agency, had been gathering in different locations around the county since it began meeting in January 2017. This was the first time commissioners had met at the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals building in Pasadena.

As Gileno entered the courthouse, deputy U.S. marshals told him he had to leave his camera in his car. Gileno insisted he had a right to record the meeting under the First Amendment and the state’s open meetings law, known as the Brown Act, and began filming the officers.

They responded by handcuffing and detaining him for about an hour.

After Gileno was cited, Robert C. Bonner, a former federal judge who chairs the commission, told The Times he wasn’t aware of certain provisions of the state’s open meetings law and relied on the county’s lawyers for legal advice.

Rather than pay the fine, Gileno opted to take his case to trial, facing a penalty of up to a $10,000 fine and 30 days in jail if found guilty.

Gileno, who began his YouTube career after showing up at his local council meeting in West Covina, said he has made a living off of his channel in recent years. His copious videos — 3,237 and counting — focus primarily on denouncing illegal immigration and promoting supporters of President Trump. His criminal case may have been a boon for his channel — a recent screed on his own prosecution was viewed more than 10,000 times.

On Friday, two court security officers who clashed with Gileno took the stand and testified that there were signs clearly posted saying photography wasn’t allowed in the courthouse. They said Gileno grew belligerent and disruptive, turning on his camera after being warned several times that it was not allowed.

Testifying in his own defense, Gileno said he was a freelance citizen journalist who has attended and filmed local government meetings and legislative town halls for about five years.

“I believe in the United States of America, you should be able to keep tabs on the government,” he said.

In more than 250 other public meetings he attended, he said, he never had an issue with bringing in his video camera. He said the security officer all of a sudden “exploded” at him, so he turned on his camera “to document what I felt was a violation of my rights at the time.”

Assistant U.S. Atty. Benedetto Lee Balding said Gileno’s disruption of security officers working at the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals was no small matter. It was Gileno who escalated the encounter by refusing to go along with the officers’ orders, he said.

“He decided unilaterally he didn’t have to follow the rules,” the prosecutor said.

Becker, who primarily represents conservatives and Christians in free-speech cases, worked for free on Gileno’s case. He argued that the federal courthouse essentially became a “limited public forum” when it hosted the commission meeting, which Gileno should have been allowed to film under the state law.

Magistrate Judge Jean P. Rosenbluth said she could understand why Gileno was angry and frustrated given his past experience filming the meetings, but she said that didn’t excuse his failure to follow orders. Security at the appellate courthouse, where justices could be filmed without their knowledge, was a serious concern, the judge said.

“Even if these seem arbitrary or don’t make any sense to Mr. Gileno or anybody else, clearly they serve this very important purpose,” Rosenbluth said, finding Gileno guilty.

Acknowledging that a “misunderstanding” had led to the kerfuffle, the prosecutor recommended a sentence of no fine, which would leave Gileno having to pay just $35 in court fees. Rosenbluth said she felt the need for “some consequences” and ordered Gileno to pay a $50 fine, bringing his total penalty to $85 with the fees.

Gileno said he was “outraged” and “astounded.” After the verdict, he turned to nine supporters in the audience, including a man in a red “Make California Great Again” hat, and exclaimed, “I was never read my rights!”

His attorney said they would seriously consider an appeal and possibly a civil lawsuit against the government.

“What the judge just said is if a city council can move to a federal building, they can keep the meeting secret,” Gileno said. “That’s grossly illegal.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Black Coat Media "Revolutionary Media"

%d bloggers like this: